Thursday, June 18, 2009

Studious Sunday II

Jean looked up from his textbook and met the eyes of the girl from his Forensic Science class. She was sitting across from him and asking him if he wanted to study. She was very pretty this girl…this…oh God, what was her name? Think! You know she said her name before, but damn if you’ll ever remember it. No use now. You can probably get through this whole thing without having to say it. Now he had to give her an answer. Did he want to study with her? It was a loaded question. First, he was much better at studying by himself. The reason was he got distracted too easily, and she was a pretty girl and girls made him nervous. Second, if his girlfriend ever caught him sitting with another girl he’d have hell to pay. And it wouldn’t just be from her, his mother would somehow get herself involved.

So what to say? It really seemed like it could be a harmless situation. They were just going to go over some chapter questions and discuss. That was it. He really hoped Natalie wouldn’t be making a surprise visit that day like she usually does. Checking the doors and looking around, he decided to give her an answer.

“Yeah, that’d be fine,” Jean said nonchalantly, though his insides were twisting uncomfortably. Nerves. It was all nerves. “So, where do you want to start first?”

The girl flipped open her book. Jean’s eyes darted to the piece of paper tucked inside, hoping to see a name scribbled somewhere. Nothing.

“How about we start on section three? There’s something I had some trouble understanding…” she said softly. A little frown formed on her soft lips.

Jean’s eyes rested on them for a second before he answered. “Um, yeah, I think I can help you with that. I’ve probably read this chapter twice, which probably means I have too much time on my hands,” he laughed nervously. Turning to the correct page, he listened as she asked her question.


Nearly two hours later, Jean finally checked his phone. “Oh, wow, I can’t believe it’s already six-thirty.”

“Really?” she said, gaping at the clock on the wall. “I can’t believe how fast that went.”

“Crap!”

“What is it?”

Jean sighed gruffly, gathering his things. “I forgot I’m supposed to be somewhere at seven.” He stood up, slinging his book bag over his shoulder.

“Oh, I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to take up your time,” she said, a concerned look on her face. Her blue eyes saddened.

Jean shook his head. “No, it’s not your fault. I should’ve paid more attention. But I’m glad we did this. We should meet up again.”

She smiled. “Definitely.”

Jean smiled back, his heart fluttering once. “See you around!” he said, leaving the library in a sprint. He couldn’t believe he was going to be late for the second time to another one of Natalie’s recitals.

No comments:

Post a Comment